ARC Review: Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones

by - 2:48 PM

Title: Wintersong
Author: S. Jae-Jones
Publisher: Thomas Dunne
Release date: February 7, 2017

Book synopsis:
Beware the goblin men and the wares they sell.
All her life, nineteen-year-old Liesl has heard tales of the beautiful, mysterious Goblin King. He is the Lord of Mischief, the Ruler Underground, and the muse around which her music is composed. Yet, as Liesl helps shoulder the burden of running her family’s inn, her dreams of composition and childish fancies about the Goblin King must be set aside in favor of more practical concerns.
But when her sister Käthe is taken by the goblins, Liesl journeys to their realm to rescue her sister and return her to the world above. The Goblin King agrees to let Käthe go—for a price. The life of a maiden must be given to the land, in accordance with the old laws. A life for a life, he says. Without sacrifice, nothing good can grow. Without death, there can be no rebirth. In exchange for her sister’s freedom, Liesl offers her hand in marriage to the Goblin King. He accepts.
Down in the Underground, Liesl discovers that the Goblin King still inspires her—musically, physically, emotionally. Yet even as her talent blossoms, Liesl’s life is slowly fading away, the price she paid for becoming the Goblin King’s bride. As the two of them grow closer, they must learn just what it is they are each willing to sacrifice: her life, her music, or the end of the world.

Wintersong is a luscious tale of a king and a brave maiden. The story enchants you with its characters and the winter-y setting. But also pulls at your heartstrings with some really great writing. Wintersong deserves songs and poems in its name. It is a masterpiece and it's only the first sweet melody of this world I have come to love.

It's definitely one of my favorite fantasy books of this year. And I don't think I've read a lot on these first two months? Wintersong exceeded my expectations. When you find a book that has one of your favorite tropes while having a bit of royalty in it and some sweet romance but very very angsty as well, one really is happy. With its fascinating world-building and setting, Wintersong made me fall in love. To be honest, it wasn't so hard for me to fall head over hells for this book. The writing for one is gorgeous and lyrical and simply you will sigh because you are in love. 

It talks about a Goblin King first of all. This is a legend/myth/bedtime story in this world where Elizabeth lives. The Gobliin King goes out in winter to pick a wife from the human world. Elizabeth has always been fascinated and enchanted by this figure and you get to know in the first part that once upon a time those two were friends when they were kids. Let me just tell you that the Goblin King has loved Elizabeth for so long, my heart gives out, my skin clears up, my crops are growing. 

It's sort of a hate to love story but also a bit of enemies to lovers, I guess? I saw it that way anyways. It definitely has passion. This book is A+ level of steamy and sexy. It also has some really great things in it like: Liesl mentions her period at some part of the book, which is amazing because not a lot of YA books mention periods. I literally loved this book so much ~ I just bought my copy and I cannot wait for it to arrive and reread.

I have not watched Labyrinth tho. I don't know how close this book is based on it? Either way, this book has some epic stories and characters. It definitely has a love story that will make you bleed (probably? definitely?). I definitely got destroyed by S. Jae-Jones. I was listening to my SKAM playlist and lit every song fit and every song hurt me so much??? The conclusion: This book will hurt you. But it will be worth it. You want to know what happens believe me. You want to find out how the Goblin King and Liesl's story ends in that final chapter. 

And then come running and tell me all about it so I can relive all of the emotions, please. 

You May Also Like

0 comments